Program at a Glance
The Programa de Estudios Hispánicos en Córdoba (PRESHCO), administered by Wellesley College and Smith College, was established by U.S. faculty with several objectives: to encourage the intellectual and personal growth that comes from immersion in another culture, to offer an opportunity to enhance acquisition of the Spanish language, and to foster knowledge and appreciation of Spanish culture through studies in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Fine Arts. Academic life at PRESHCO is centered around courses specially conceived for American college students and taught by regular faculty of the University of Córdoba. Students with sufficient language skills may enroll in regular university classes, some with special tutorials designed for U.S. students. Students are housed with host families, and all meals eals ncluded. PRESHCO offers several excursions each semester to destinations which may include Barcelona, Segovia, Toledo, Granada, Burgos, and Seville. A pre-semester intensive language course is offered each semester, and an excursion to Morocco is offered each Fall. Day trips are periodically arranged to various points of cultural interest in the Córdoba region, such as a visit to a Montilla winery or an olive oil press in Baena.
Specifically, the program includes:
Field of Study: Departments where students have taken courses in the past include: Anthropology, Art History, Biology, Chemistry, Cinema & Media Studies, Economics, Education, Environmental Studies, Geography, History, Literature, Math, Physics, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Women & Gender Studies.
- Students: Up to 40 per semester, women and men. Students come from mainly Smith and Wellesley Colleges, as well as other liberal arts schools.
- Full year is late August to late May
- Fall semester is late August to mid-December
- Spring semester is late January to late May
- Location: Córdoba, Spain
- Partner Institution: University of Córdoba
- Housing: Homestays with Spanish families in private homes with all meals included.
- Cost: Wellesley Comp Fee. Includes all academic expenses, full room & board, extensive excursions and cultural activities, airfare stipend, course textbooks and class materials, local transportation. Financial aid for Wellesley students is fully transferrable and the Expected Family Contribution will remain constant.
- Pre-requisites: Spanish 241/4 semesters of Spanish or the equivalent/3.0.
- Language of Instruction: Spanish
- Course load: PRESHCO program courses and direct enrollment in recommended University of Córdoba courses. A full course load is 4 courses per semester/16 US semester credits.
- Application deadlines:
- Fall and Full Year - March 15
- Spring - October 15
- Flight: Group flight from New York or airfare reimbursement to and from Madrid.
- Other inclusions:
- Extensive excursions and cultural activities to enhance and enrich your program of study.
Pre-semester intensive language and culture course
Semester-long guidance to achieve full sociocultural integration.
Pre and post language assessment program.
- Personal fund for individually selected activities, travel, and personal incidentals.
- Optional 5-day seminar-excursion to northern Morocco (fall semester only).
- Regular University of Córdoba student status, including use of libraries, computer services, sports facilities, and other student services.
- Optional co-curricular classes in traditional Andalusian dance (“Sevillanas”), cooking, guitar, theater, and studio art (drawing, ceramics, sculpture, bookbinding, computer- assisted graphic design, and photography).
- Optional volunteer and internship program in a variety of local organizations.
- Academic advising tailored to individual needs and interests.
- Conversation partner program and language tutoring with students from the University of Córdoba
- Complimentary program course textbooks and selected class materials.